Over the years Temporary Housing Directory (www.temporaryhosuingdirectory.com) has spoken to many customers that have not protected their homes from the harshness of the winter. Since the winter months are already upon us we wanted to share with you a few necessary steps that you should take to winterize your home.
– Clean you gutter by removing fallen leaves and other debris. According to the Insurance Institute, drains can form ice dams, in which water backs up, freezes and causes water to seep into the house.
– Adding more insulation to your attic is a necessity since heat rises and can escape through your attic.
– To eliminate drafts, make sure you caulk cracks around windows. It is best to use water resistant caulk.
– Add weather stripping to doors and windows when winterizing buildings.
– Clean your furnace replaces the air filter. Dirty air filters clog the flow of air and could start a fire.
– Make sure you service your fireplace or wood burning stove. It is a good idea to have professional chimney sweep come out to clean to inspect whichever one you have.
– Make sure all fire alarms are in good working order and have new batteries.
These are just a few steps to get you to help you prepare for the cold winter. For more information it is always a good idea to check with your insurance agent.